That time my husband and I became football hooligans at the RB Leipzig game!

This past weekend Craig and I attended our first professional sporting event in Leipzig – a soccer (football) game! We watched the Leipzig Red Bulls (sponsored by Red Bull) take on the Duisburg Zebras!

20151206_151606.jpg

This was my first time ever attending a soccer game, and I didn’t know what to expect. Unlike many sporting events I’ve attended, the crowds were roaring the WHOLE time! Not a moment was silent as the Leipzig cheering section waved their flags, sang their songs, and performed coordinated crowd dances. Honestly, watching the cheers was just as entertaining, if not more entertaining, than the game itself.

2015-12-06 13.25.41

The cheering section holding up their Red Bull scarves (click the picture to be directed to video)

The rival team also brought a cheer section of its own, and the two would banter back and forth throughout the game.

20151206_132913.jpg

Duisburg Zebra supporters – surprisingly rowdy for how few there were

Anyway, perhaps you are curious about the game itself. In the first half the Red Bulls were the first to pass the ball through the net, and Craig and I roared in celebration (complete with a standing high five). Only… we were the only two in the stadium cheering because apparently the player was offsides and the goal didn’t count. (Stupid ignorant Americans.)

The Zebras were the first to actually score, and then we were on the edge of our seats waiting for the Red Bulls to score for real so we could redeem ourselves from the previous embarrassment. Luckily, they did, and the score was 1-1 at the half.

20151206_151634.jpg

Our player got a yellow card for taking his shirt off in celebration

At halftime the fans flocked to the concession stands to fill up on bratwursts, pretzels, and beer.

2015-12-06 13.16.11

He’s serving from the keg of beer on his back!

The second half was filled with close calls and lots of cheering, but the real excitement didn’t happen until about the last 15 minutes of the game.

The Zebras took the lead, making the score 1-2. The whole stadium was woeful with disappointment and anxiously hoping the Red Bulls could tie the score again. With about 10 minutes remaining, they scored! The crowd went wild! Then they scored again! The crowd again went wild! Then again! Everyone was out of their seats and roaring loudly! As time quickly ran out, the Leipzig Red Bulls took the win, with a final score of 4-2!

2015-12-06 15.18.31

I snapped a picture right before the final goal!

2015-12-06 15.19.22

Craig can’t believe what just happened!

2015-12-06 15.22.20

Celebrating the win!

It was a very exciting game and a very thrilling experience, and it made me feel one step closer to becoming European. I hope we’ll be back again!

(And just so we’re clear, there wasn’t any fighting or vandalism involved. I use the term “hooligan” lightly.)

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “That time my husband and I became football hooligans at the RB Leipzig game!

1. swanpride says:

Careful…hooligans aren’t even considered real fans by a lot of, well, real fans because they are often not there for the game but only want an opportunity to fight.

Looks like you lucked out and got an engaging game. You should consider visiting one of the big stadiums one day. That’s an entirely different level altogether.

• beckymarkovitz says:

I was really surprised to see that they quarantined off the supporters of the other team to (I assume) prevent riots. I had never seen anything like that at a sporting event! Luckily everyone was well behaved, and all I observed was a little playful taunting.

• swanpride says:

Well, it wasn’t a Derby. A Schalke against Borussia game is an entirely other matter. Plus, it’s Duisburg…those are really nice and well-behaved fans. That’s not true for all Clubs. Rostock for example is particularly unnerving. Last time I saw a game involving them, Stadium security had to storm the “Gästeblock” (guest section?) in order to remove the “Anheizer” (the guy who keeps encouraging the fans to keep chanting).

The supporters which got quarantined off are usually the die-hard fans. On the more expensive places, you normally have more of a mix, since the Club work (rightly) under the assumption that people who pay a considerable sum for they place know how to behave.

• beckymarkovitz says:

Thanks for reading! I really enjoyed trying to translate your article into English so I could understand (it was good practice for me). Perhaps you can teach me the proper things to say (auf Deutsch) when I’m cheering on the team!

2. Diana Elle says:

that sounds like it was a cool first time at the stadium we still haven’t gone and we’ve been here for three years, maybe soon! & I wonder how the guy manages to carry the keg on his back!

3. yourparisian says:

Looks exciting, and I love that they serve brats, pretzels and beer at the stadium! I’ve played soccer since highschool but since moving to Paris I haven’t yet made it to a PSG game! Will have to get to one next year! 🙂

4. Mary says:

I support a second division club here in Hungary – much smaller crowds but even more exciting me thinks – more personal. That said, rugby is the way to go:-) Try getting in on a Six Nations game next year.

5. Christian Krug says:

Hi Becky,
    Hi Craig,

we are pleased to read that you had so much fun in your first game of the Red Bulls.

Do you fancy more actively participate in the world of football? We would like to welcome you at our Fan Club and would certainly have a lot of fun together. We look forward to your feedback.

best regards